Tandoori Chicken has earned a name for itself all over the world. It gets its name from the cylindrical clay oven in which this dish is traditionally prepared in parts of India. It is a popular North Indian dish made of roasted chicken, yogurt and spices. The chicken is marinated with yogurt, which is seasoned with a mixture of spices. The dish gets its red color from red chili powder or kashmiri red chilis and deep orange color comes from turmeric powder. The dish is traditionally cooked at high temperature in a clay oven, but it can also be made on barbeque grills and microwave.
Recipe of Barbecued Tandoori Chicken
- 4 free-range chicken legs
- 4 boneless and skinless free-range chicken thighs
- 3 skinless free-range chicken breasts, cut into large pieces
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 6 crushed garlic cloves
- Piece of fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1½ tsp ground cardamom seeds
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 250ml yogurt
- 40g unsalted butter, melted
- Make few deep slashes on both sides of each chicken leg and thigh, and place it in a large glass bowl with the breast pieces. Sprinkle lemon juice, paprika and salt. Rub and leave aside for 30 minutes.
- Blend yogurt, ginger, garlic, cardamom, and garam masala into a smooth paste.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and leave it to marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Light the charcoal barbecue, at about 30 minutes before cooking. Preheat the gas barbeque for 10 minutes.
- Lift the chicken pieces and thread them onto a long metal or bamboo skewers.
- Brush the chicken and grate with oil
- Place the skewered chicken and the legs onto the grate and cook directly over a high heat for 4 minutes on each side. Keep turning occasionally to get charred here and there.
- Remove the chicken from the grate and brush it with oil again. Put off the middle burner or push the coal on either side of the grate. Place it again on the grate and cook with indirect high heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with mint ratio, warm coriander nana bread and lemon wedges
Recipe of Chicken Tikka
The name of tandoori chicken made it known by different names—Chicken tikka is one of them and in many restaurants this dish is popularly known as chicken tikka masala.
- Chicken – 1.5 lb –5 leg piece
- Low fat Yogurt– 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Lime – 1/2
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Green Chili – 2
- Garam Masala – 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp or as per taste
- Red food color + Orange Food Color (Kesari powder) – few large drops
- Wash the chicken legs. Create 2 deep slits on each side of the leg.
- Massage each piece of chicken with salt and lemon and leave it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Blend yogurt/curd, garam masala, ginger, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, green chili, sliced onion into a smooth paste.
- Add a few drops of food color and a few drops of water to the leftover lemon juice. Bring out the chicken pieces from the fried and brush it with the food color.
- Pour the smooth paste in a bowl or freezer bag. Put each piece of chicken, mix it well. Close the bowl or zip the freezer and leave it in the fridge for at least 8 hours or more.
- Heat the oven to the highest temperature. Line a cookie, jelly pan with aluminum foil and place the marinated chicken pieces on it.
- Place the tray in the center rack of the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove and apply the marinade paste over the pieces with a brush or spoon and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Pull the tray out and let it cool.
- Serve the chicken after wrapping each piece with an aluminum foil along with sliced onion, lemon wedges, and spicy green chutney.