Children have to be trained to urinate before sleep. Otherwise, over a period of time kids start urinating in the sleep without their knowledge. Bedwetting is a concern most parents have. It can be treated gradually. As a matter of fact, girls learn bladder control, faster than boys. In some kids, it is pure laziness, for some it is just unknown. The causes of bedwetting are due to lots of urination, small bladder, stress, urinary infection or hormonal imbalance. Bedwetting is a hereditary issue. Help your child in going through this problem, else some kids may go through a lot of depression. Below is the list of few home remedies.
Home remedies for bed wetting
Cinnamon for bed wetting
Cinnamon comes in handy and a great relief to this problem. This spice keeps the body temperature warm.
- Make a habit of letting the kid chew a little piece of stick daily.
- Make a yummy bread toast by adding this cinnamon powder along with sugar. Breakfast becomes variety and easy and beneficial too.
Gooseberry, well known as amla, a very good source to curb this problem.
Dazed and paste the gooseberry, add honey and a little bit of turmeric. Give it to your child as first thing in the morning. 2 berries are more than enough.
The pulp of gooseberry along with pepper is also good. Kids make a fuss to take this, but you must handle it nicely so that they don’t deny and understand the benefit of it.
Massage with olive oil
- A massage of olive oil on the lower abdomen also helps.
- Warm the olive oil and rub gently on the lower abdomen before sleep. Practice this daily for best results.
Cranberry juice for urinary tract
This juice is good for the bladder and urinary tract.
- Prepare juicier out of cranberry before sleep. Cranberry juice is available in the stores too.
- It is good to give at least half cups along with breakfast.
Dry fruits to control bedwetting
Dry fruits are good source to control this problem.
- Walnuts and raisins: Give your child 2 walnuts and 1 raising, monitor it for a few weeks.
- Oats and dry fruits: Make oatmeal with milk, honey, walnuts and raisins. A great breakfast and also beneficial.
Bladder control exercises
Bladder control exercises stretch the muscle, thus controlling the urine from the bladder. It also helps in increasing bladder capacity.
- Let your child do this regularly. Contract and release the pelvic muscles for 10 minutes. Repeat this for 3 times in a day.
- Always, encourage your child to hold the bladder for a few minutes until he rushes to the restroom. This will gradually develop bladder control. Eventually, at nights the frequent urination reduces at night. Here holding the bladder for a long time is not good, hence, act judgmentally to make a practice and that is the idea.
Milk and fennel seeds for children
- Add a teaspoon of fennel seeds to warm milk, half cup sugar and a tumbler of water. Mix it well, and heat it till it becomes a thick syrup. Consume this daily.
Try honey to control bedwetting
Honey is the best natural home remedies to get rid of bed wetting habit. Daily consumption of honey helps to treat bed wetting problems in childhood. But, some children don’t like to have raw honey and is difficult in feeding them. So, add two teaspoons of honey in a glass of milk with honey that helps to treat the child in bed wetting.
- Give a spoonful of honey every night before bedtime.
- Add honey instead of sugar in your child’s breakfast. You can also put honey instead of jam on the bread or roti rolls.
ACV helps to reduce acidic levels
Apple, Cider Vinegar is a good potion which reduces acidic levels. This is available in the stores.
- Mix 1-2 spoons of ACV solution in a tumbler of water. You may also add little honey.
- Give this solution to your child along with the meal.
Mustard seeds to treat urinary infections
Mustard helps in curbing urinary infections.
- Add little mustard powder to 1 tumbler of lukewarm milk. This should be given to your child just before sleep in the night.
Jaggery produces heat
Jaggery produces heat in the body and keeps you warm from within.
- Give a piece of jaggery with a glass of milk to your child every day in the morning.
- Roast celery and sesame seeds, Make a mixture of these, add rock salt, after an hour of taking milk, and give this mixture to your child.
Bananas to prevent bedwetting
Bananas are best to bind your stomach together that prevents bedwetting. You can offer your child with 2 – 3 bananas a day. Banana is best during breakfast and one before going to sleep. This helps to reduce bed wetting in children. But, make sure not to give over ripe bananas to your children. It’s not good for them and most of the children don’t like it too.
Walnuts and raisins
Walnuts are best and are tasty with nutritional benefits. This acts as a snack with two teaspoons of walnuts and one teaspoon of raisins during night. This is used to treat bed wetting in children. Walnuts and raisins cure the condition and can treat bed wetting. Repeat the process every night until you get positive results. Prolonged consumption of walnuts and raisins are best and effective in positive results.
Cranberry juice to strengthen bedwetting
Cranberry juice is the most effective home remedy to cure bed wetting and is strongly recommended for children before they are going to bed. Cranberry juice is helpful for UTI kidney or bladder infections, which are useful in bed wetting. Cranberry juice helps to strengthen and prevent bed wetting. Drink 8 ounce of cranberry juice just before going to bed. Repeat it for a couple of months with desired result.
Herbal tea between meals
Herbal tea is rich in bed wetting and has antioxidant. It helps to promote health and also protects your body from damage to radicals. Herbal tea is prepared using horsetail, oak bark, barberry that helps to tackle in bedwetting. Take 2 – 3 cups every day between meals.
Bladder exercises for bed wetting
Bladder exercise helps to stretch the muscle that controls the release of urine from the bladder. This helps to increase the bladder capacity. The muscle strengthening and bladder stretch exercises are good for bladder control. The muscle strengthening and bladder stretching exercise involves tightening of the pelvic muscles. This helps to hold it for about 5 – 10 seconds, then rests for five seconds. Repeat the exercise 10 times, thrice a day. Alternatively, encourage the child to hold off going the bathroom for some time and is urged to urinate begins. The method is beneficial for accidental daytime as bed wetting than night time. This helps to reduce the frequency of bedwetting episodes that are usually trained the bladder to hold an increase amount of urine without triggering the urge to urinate. This helps the children to hold their urine for 2 – 3 minutes more in each day.
Avoid caffeine to prevent bedwetting
Try to avoid caffeine that has diuretic properties. This helps to increase the tendency of urination. This is better to avoid giving to a child. Coffee drinks such as colas, energy drinks, tea and coffee contains caffeine. It is better to avoid them and is advisable not to give them. Avoid caffeine rich foods to children in the evening and for dinner.
Deworming the child to stop bedwetting
A worm infection is the most common symptom that triggers to bed wetting in most of the children. Try to do it in the Ayurveda way. The first thing is that giving the child for about 20 grams of jaggery in the morning. In this case the followed by a half a teaspoon of celery seeds. Thus, it is mixed with a pinch of rock salt. This is the best natural medication that needs to be repeated for every week and for four weeks to be visible results.
How to prevent bed wetting
The best way to prevent bed wetting is that the child has to stop bed wetting with the following methods.
- Try to avoid giving fluid to your child night and mostly before bedtime.
- Make sure that the habit of bed wetting to your child has to go to the bathroom before they are going to sleep.
- Reward your child for an appreciate with something for being dry whole night.
- Try to make a habit to a kid after an interval of time that they want to go to bathroom for passing the urine.
Encourage your child in reading good books and do not ever compare with other kids. Do not make fun of the child in front of his friends by saying it out. The depression kills a person. A parent might feel that, if they are compared, they will learn things, it is a bad way of teaching. Always inculcate a positive attitude. Encourage in the exercise mentioned above. There is no school other than home to teach and get over this problem. Remember, these are remedies. If you feel that the child is over and above age and still urinating, it is good to visit a pediatrician.