People who suffer from bronchitis have a cough. This gets aggravated during winters and anytime when it is acute cold climate. This is caused when there is an infection in the bronchial tubes between the nose and lungs. Cold and cough, headaches are the usual outcomes of this infection.
Bronchitis is a respiratory disease caused due to the inflammation and swelling of the mucous membranes in the bronchial passages of the lungs. This is caused in two forms like acute and chronic. The acute bronchitis lasts for 1 – 3 weeks. Whereas chronic bronchitis lasts for 3 months to 2 years. This required regular medical care as it is a long term disorder.
Causes of Bronchitis
Bronchitis is a respiratory disease caused by some bacterial or viral infections that irritate the bronchial tissues.
- Infections and change in atmosphere
- Allergy and smoking
- Cough and cold
- Pollution, dusty air or fog
Symptoms of Bronchitis
These are the best common symptoms mostly seen in adults or children that are chest pain or tightening of the chest. There are some other complications such as breathing, cough with mucous, muscle ache, tiredness, fever and nasal congestion.
Home remedies for bronchitis
Garlic reduces bronchitis
The anti-biotic property of garlic suppresses the inflammation and also lessens irritation in the throat.
- Peel garlic, take about 4 cloves and boil it in milk and have it just before sleep.
Sesame seeds for throat infection
The medicinal property of this seed gives relief to the bronchial infection.
- Take powdered sesame seeds, flax seeds, little salt and one spoonful of honey. Make a nice mixture and consume it before sleeping.
- Mix sesame seed powder in water, add honey and drink this solution. Take this two times in a day.
Ginger reduces inflammation in the lungs
Ginger is an age old remedy in most families. It can be of great help in providing relief for acute cough too. It has anti-inflammatory property that suppresses inflammation in the lungs.
- Chew the raw ginger (little) few times in a day.
- You can also add honey to your ginger tea.
- Add ginger, black pepper powder, cinnamon and cloves in water, boil it, let the spices settle down, drink the potion. Repeat the same procedure to milk and have warm milk.
Turmeric to prevent bronchial
The anti-septic property of turmeric helps reduce the bronchial infection.
- Add turmeric to boiled milk and consume it. You can take this every day. Eucalyptus oil:
- Eucalyptus is an herb that helps any issues related to the nose and throat. It is a very old process that people still use.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in hot water, take steam inhalation.
- Massage on the chest with eucalyptus oil.
- Take few drops of this oil on a handkerchief or a tissue and inhale it.
Try salt water gargle
Salt water gargling is very effective.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to hot water and gargle for a few minutes. You can repeat this process as and when you feel there is irritation in your throat.
- This process reduces the inflammation.
Honey best to soothe throat pain
Honey soothes the throat. It has anti-bacterial properties.
- Add honey to the tea instead of sugar, it soothes the throat.
- Add honey to lemon juice for soothing effect on the throat.
Add onion in salad
Onions helps in dissolving the mucus and phlegm. It also helps the further increase in the infection.
- Slice the onions and extract juice, just take a spoon of this juice every morning before breakfast.
- Onion salad is also very good for bronchial infections.
Epsom salt to prevent infections
- Add Epsom salt (like 500 grams) to hot water and take a hot shower.
- Add Epsom salt to hot water, and take a bath in the tub, stay in the tub for about 30 minutes.
Drink plenty of water for good health
Last but definitely not the last. Water is the quick and first remedy. In addition to it, keeping yourself hydrated is good for health too.
- Take warm water whenever you drink.
- Take lime juice, add salt and honey.
Orange juice best ingredient in bronchitis
Orange juice is more effective to treat bronchitis. Orange juice is rich in minerals and vitamins. This helps to prevent sore throat. Take fresh orange and peel it off. Blend juice from orange. Drink a glass of orange juice when you are hungry. This helps to reduce symptoms of bronchitis. Consume fresh orange juice that gives more energy.
Bay leaf to reduce mucus
Bay leaf helps to reduce mucus. Take a handful of fresh bay leaf. Add it in a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for 10 minutes and remove the vessel from heat. Strain the solution and drink this solution regularly to remove excess mucus. Alternatively, take some fresh bay leaves and tear them up. Add them in a cup of boiling water. Let them steep for 10 minutes and remove it from heat. Repeat this process regularly.
Onions and honey to remove bacteria
Onions are best to reduce excess mucus. Honey has antibacterial properties which causes bronchitis and helps to soothe the throat pain. Take an onion and peel it off. Soak that onion in honey overnight. In the morning, consume 1 teaspoon of onion infused honey 4 times a day. Consume them regularly to prevent bronchitis.
Lemon juice to remove bronchitis
Lemons are rich in antibacterial property. This helps to reduce bronchitis. Lemons are rich in Vitamin C that helps to strengthen your immune system. Take a cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Let is steep for 10 minutes and then strained the solution. Drink this solution regularly to remove bronchitis.
Onion and garlic has enzyme to reduce inflammation
Onion and garlic are used to reduce inflammation due to the presence of chemical quercetin. This helps to inhibit the enzyme which is called as lipoxgenase. This enzyme is responsible in order to release inflammatory chemicals in the body. Onions are rich in sulfur and also give a cooling effect to your body.
Hot liquids to reduce bronchitis
Consume lots of liquids such as tea, soups, warm water. These help relieve from bronchitis. This warmth factor helps to reduce irritated throat. These hot liquids reduce pain, and decreases inflammation that has eased congestion. Drink some lukewarm water, which helps to reduce sore throat and pain. It also helps to reduce swelling.
Eucalyptus oil to treat Bronchitis
Eucalyptus oil is the most effective natural home remedy. The steam therapy of eucalyptus oil softens the mucus. The antibacterial properties of the oil help in burning sensation and are with inflamed throat. You can add a few drops of eucalyptus oil in boiling water. Simply, cover your head with a towel and breathe in the stem. You can use tea tree oil or pine oil instead of eucalyptus oil. Alternatively, eucalyptus oil can be applied on the chest directly that will aid the proper function of the respiratory system and helps to drive out eh excess mucus.
Breathe steam and humidifier to treat Bronchitis
Steam and hot showers can benefit from Bronchitis. Taking a hot shower can reduce Bronchitis. Take a bowl and fill it with hot water. Lean over the bowl and drape a towel over your head. Inhale the steam that helps to loosen the secretions in your lungs. Humidifier helps to get rid of Bronchitis. Run a humidifier in your bedroom while sleeping to moisten the air that you are breathing. Make sure of proper maintenance and cleaning directions of humidifier by the manufacturer. If you avoid cleaning, then you can notice bacteria and mold can accumulate in the works well.
These tips are the best home remedies when bronchial infection is not too much. If the infections are high and unbearable, then visit a physician. People, who have this infection, must stay indoors and avoid going in the cold outdoors. Keep yourself warm by wearing woolen clothes and putting on blanket for sure. Cover your ears, cold air entering from ear aggravates infection. Do not eat foods that are cold or frozen foods. Doctors’ advice to eat seasonal fruits, but for some people, eating grapes causes more infection due to which, cough increases. Hence, avoid fruits that may be allergic to you. You are the best judges to decide which food suits you.