Lung disease causing breathing congestion is asthma. Asthma is a very serious issue and has to be treated properly. Especially when the climate is cold, asthmatic people get affected severely. People who suffer from asthma get easily affected by allergies, dust, climatic conditions, pollution and sometimes food too. I have my uncle who has acute asthma and a couple of friends too. I have seen them using home remedies and sharing the results with me. Today, I will share few remedies and the foods to take and avoid.
Top best home remedies for asthma
Natural treatment for asthma with Lemon
Lemon is rich in Vitamin C. It has anti-oxidants that help to reduce asthma symptoms. Squeeze half fresh lemon juice and add it in a glass of water. Add required amount of sugar to your taste. Mix them well and drink it regularly that helps to reduce asthma attacks. Thus, the oranges, papayas, blueberries and strawberries are rich in nutrients that help to minimize asthma symptoms. Make sure to use fresh lemon juice, but avoid using bottled lemon juice. Do not take citrus fruits during asthma attacks that can worsen your symptoms.
Omega – 3 fatty acids and bioflavonoids home treatment
Omega – 3 fatty acids are rich in fish such as tuna, salmon and mackerel. This works best with a class of asthma drugs called leukotriene inhibitors. Thus, these drugs stop the actions of body compounds that cause inflammation in the airways. So, take six 100 milligram capsules a day in divided doses.
Bioflavonoid is a compound that helps to give fruits and vegetables like Technicolor hues. They are rich in anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties. This is best known bioflavonids, quercetin, inhibits and release of histamine. So, consume 500 milligrams of quercetin three times a day for 20 minutes before meals.
Carom seeds natural home remedy
Carom seeds are rich Bishop’s weed and ajwain are used to treat mild asthma. This acts as a bronchodialator by dilating the bronchial tubes in the lungs. Take one teaspoon of carom seeds in water and boil them. Inhale the steam as needed. Drink it and use this treat asthma. Another way, heat a handful of carom seeds wrapped in a piece of cotton cloth. Place it in a microwave for a few seconds. This is comfortably hot. Gently place it on your chest and neck until it cools down. Repeat the process daily until you are satisfied with the results. Alternatively, there is another option to heat a paste of carom seeds and jiggery. Eat one or two teaspoons of this paste twice a day for a few days. This helps to relief from asthma. Thus, it is also used to treat diabetics.
Ginger best home remedy
Ginger is an age old remedy for most respiratory diseases. With its medicinal value, it gives relief to the asthma patients.
- Prepare pomegranate juice, add little ginger paste and honey. Stir well and strain. Drink this couple of times in a day.
- Mince the ginger, boil it in water, cool the liquid consume the drink. If you would like it to taste sweet, add a smaller amount of honey.
- Fenugreek and ginger potion does wonders. Boil some fenugreek seeds, add the ginger juice and honey. Ensure to take it every morning and evening.
Garlic best home tip for asthma
Usage of garlic in the early stages helps cure asthma.
- Take a cup of milk and boil 4 pieces of garlic, drink it after it is cooled.
- You can also use soya milk.
How to prevent asthma with mustard oil?
I did not know that mustard oil can be this effective. I used to have an Oriya friend, they use mustard oil for cooking, her dishes smell too much and I used to hate it always. As I grew up, I understood the benefits of it. Here is a wonder tip below:
- Heat mustard oil with camphor and massage with mustard oil on the chest and back when an asthma patient is attacked by asthma. Make sure it is warm when giving a massage.
Best asthma tip with figs
It is ironically said that, something that has benefits always tastes bitter or weird. I find this true in case of figs. Figs have the amazing property to treat asthma, consumption of figs eases breathing.
- Soak 4 figs (dried) in a cup of water. Next morning, eat the same before taking breakfast. Continue this for at least 2 months, you will definitely find a change in breathing.
Coffee is the best treatment for asthma
- The caffeine controls the asthma attacks. A cup of hot coffee clears the airways in respiratory tract. However, coffee in large quantities at a regular frequency can be dangerous too, hence limit it to 2 cups a day.
Eucalyptus oil for respiratory problems
Eucalyptus oil is used for most respiratory issues.
Put some drops of eucalyptus oil on a fresh cloth and lay it on your pillow so that you breathe in the aroma while you are asleep.
- You can also use this oil while taking bath. Put a few drops in hot water before the shower.
- You can also use these drops while taking a steam for breath easiness.
Turmeric good for health and cures asthma problems
Turmeric acts as an antiseptic and has anti-allergy properties. Turmeric cause inflammation and has an effect on histamines. Turmeric has compounds that contain inhibit and also releases carbon dioxide prostaglandins. Take a teaspoon of turmeric powder and mix it in a cup of warm milk. Mix them well and drink it for 3 times a day. Turmeric can be used to for beauty and health care rigorously due to its properties and quick results.
Honey best home remedy to remove asthma symptoms
Honey is the best natural home remedy that contains ethereal oil. Honey has the property to remove phlegm in the throat that can give relief from respiratory problems. Take a teaspoon of honey and mix it in a glass of warm water. Drink this solution slowly for about thrice a day. Mix a teaspoon of honey with ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder and mix them well to swallow. Repeat this process daily for best results. If you don’t like to taste, then you can inhale the smell from a jar of honey. Repeat it frequently for best results.
Fenugreek seeds to treat asthma
Fenugreek seeds are best to reduce the inflammation of asthma. Soak some fenugreek seeds in warm water that helps to treat asthma. Take a pinch of ginger and blend juice from it. Take a teaspoon of ginger juice and add it boiled water. Mix them well and strain the solution to remove fenugreek seeds. This helps to treat symptoms of asthma.
Try cloves to prevent mucus in respiratory
Cloves help to reduce symptoms of asthma. Take 5 – 6 cloves and add them in a half glass of water. Let them boil for some time. Add a spoonful of honey into it according to your taste. Drink this clove tea twice a day to remove asthma. Dried figs also gives same relief. They help to prevent mucus in the respiratory tract.
Onion best to clear lungs and asthma problems
Onions helps to decrease choking of the air routes due to mitigating property present in it. Onion is rich in sulfur that helps to diminish aggravation in the lungs. If you like, you can just eat raw onions by adding them in salad. This helps to clean your air passages and makes you to inhale and exhale easily. If you are unable to eat raw onions, then try to eat cooked onions by adding them in curries.
So try these home remedies to avoid the risks of asthma and other breathing problems.
What to take and what to avoid!
- As the rhyme goes “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” is true to some extent. People who eat apples every day are at lower risk of having asthmatic trouble.
- Cantaloupe/Musk melon is rich in Vitamin C which acts as an antioxidant. Any citrus fruit has Vitamin C, but this one has in abundance.
- Beta carotene in Carrots is converted to Vitamin A in the body and helps to fight asthma.
- Coffee and garlic as discussed above. Consumption of garlic like the tip I shared above or usage of garlic in most foods is also very good for asthma patients. Coffee is good when taken limited and worse when taken frequently.
- Eggs are bad for asthma patients. Also avoid foods that contain egg. People who are allergic to eggs can be seriously affected by foods containing egg.
- Flax seeds which are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids are the worst food for the asthma patients. Foods such as Salmon fish also have Omega 3, some say that fish is good for asthma patients, but there is a controversy, so better to avoid.
- Peanuts are the worst of all. Few peanuts also cause a lot of congestion in the lungs. Research says that kids who consume peanuts earlier than those who do not take this nut are at higher risk.