Cakes are a favorite of all kids adults and a must serve on several occasions like birthdays, anniversaries and weddings all over the world. Normally cakes are baked in the oven or sometimes made in the microwave as well. But sometimes when electricity is not available in camps and outdoor activities cakes can be made in a pressure cooker. Many people are scared to make a cake in the pressure cooker as there have been instances when the cooker has burst while making a cake.
Points to remember while making a cake in the pressure cooker
- The recipe of the cake must be uncomplicated though all cake recipes are good to be made in the pressure cooker.
- A cooker of3 is required but one of 5 litres is best for the cake.
- Remove the gasket of the lid.
- It is important as the whistle is not required.
- Most cookers come with a stand with holes which helps in distributing the heat evenly. This can be substituted with a small thick steel plate. Another method is to place a flat griddle between the flame and cooker to provide insulation to protect the cake.
- Water should not be added in the pressure cooker when it is used for baking.
- The cooker must be preheated on high heat for 2 minutes before used for baking.
- The cake batter must be put in the cooker in a cake pan that comfortably fits in the cooker without touching the sides.
- Close the cooker and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes and then lower the heat and cook for approximately 45 minutes till the cake is done.
Vanilla Cake recipe
- All purpose flour – 1 1/2 cup
- Powdered Sugar -1 cup
- Egg -2
- Butter – 125 grams
- Baking powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 tsp
- Milk – 1/2 cup
(all things should be at room temperature)
- Sieve Maida, baking powder and salt together twice.
- Beat butter and sugar well with an electric beater or a wooden ladle until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat again.
- Add milk, vanilla essence and beat more.
- Fold in flour until well mixed.
- Pour the prepared batter in the prepared cooker vessel.
How to bake cake in Pressure cooker
- Fill the cooker with sand till 1 1/2 inches and place the plate on it for insulation.
- Preheat the cooker for 5 minutes on high flame with the sand.
- Place the vessel with the cake batter carefully inside the cooker and keep low flame.
- Close the cooker and bake for 4o minutes to 1 hour until the cake is done.
- To check insert a wooden toothpick, if it comes out clear the cake is done.
Eggless Vanilla Cake in a Pressure Cooker
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar – powdered
- 1/2 water
- 3/4 cup dahi
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Line the base of the tin with butter paper or grease the bases and dust either with maida
- Sift the flour and baking powder
- Add the salt, sugar, butter, water and vanilla.
- Beat the mixture with a wooden spoon or a beater
- Add dahi to the cake batter and beat till smooth.
- When the batter looks almost glossy transfer the batter into the bake tin
- Heat the empty pressure cooker, covered on high heat for 2-3 minutes and then place the cake tin in it.
- Cover again without the whistle, lower the flame and cook till done
Chocolate Cake in a Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup cocoa
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar (powdered)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 inch round greased baking tin
- Mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, butter, sugar, water and vanilla and beat well with a beater
- add the eggs and beat the batter till it becomes smooth
- Transfer into the prepared baking tin.
- Heat the pressure cooker, covered but without the whistle for 3-4 minutes on high heat (without water)
- Place the cake tin in the empty cooker.
- Cover again without the pressure, lower the flame and cook for about half an hour until till done.