High blood pressure or hypertension is one and the same. High blood pressure is a serious problem which can lead to cardiac problems, strokes and kidney failure. Blood pressure, which is 140/90 mm Hg or above is considered to be high. Obesity, excessive smoking, high salt intake, lack of exercise, stress, birth control pills, pain relievers, kidney disease and adrenal disease are all the causes of high blood pressure. If a person’s blood pressure is consistently falling in this range of 140/90 mm Hg, then he is a hypertension patient. There are home remedies to control high blood pressure.
Common causes of high blood pressure
- Stress or intake of excessive salt
- Genetic factors
- Obesity or birth control pills
- Lack of physical activities
- Improper diet
- Alcohol and smoking
Home remedies to control high blood pressure
Hibiscus to control high blood pressure
The hibiscus is a natural home remedy to manage blood pressure. This acts as a diuretic and can draw sodium from the blood stream. This also helps to decrease the blood pressure on the arterial walls. Hibiscus is more interesting with angiotensin that helps to convert enzyme inhibitors. The ACE inhibitors are best pharmaceutical drug to treat high blood pressure. This works better in hampering the angiotensin that converts enzyme, which play a major crucial role in the renin-angiotensin system. The hormone system helps in regulating blood pressure and fluid balance. The blood vessels relax and blood volume can be lowered to decrease blood pressure. Take 1 – 2 teaspoons of dried hibiscus, 1 cup of fresh and piping hot water, honey, lemon or 1 – 2 cinnamon sticks. Add hibiscus and cinnamon stick into boiling water. Let them steep for about 5 minutes. Add honey and lemon to taste. Drink 2 – 3 times a day. This makes you lower iced tea for those sticky hot summer days.
Ginger and cardamom tea to lower high blood pressure
Ginger and cinnamon are warming spices that improves blood circulation. This helps in making tasty tea that helps in heart to get healthy. Black tea improves blood pressure at some instances. This is due to heavy concentration of flavonoid and have blood pressure that leans towards the more severe side of the scale. Thus, the caffeine may do more harm than good. This is a delightfully warm, spicy, tea that has on chilly winter days. Take ½ cup of water, 2 – 3 teaspoons of honey, 1 teaspoon of cardamom pods, ½ teaspoon of ginger powder or 2 teaspoons of fresh ginger, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder and ½ cup of milk. Crush some cardamom pods that helps to release the oil and grind them into fine powder. Take all the ingredients in a saucepan, except honey. Bring them to a boil and then simmer it for about 6 – 9 minutes. This is rich in caramel brown color. Stir in by adding a little honey into it. Drink it for about 1 – 2 times daily.
Bananas to reduce high blood pressure
Banana which is the best natural home remedy for blood pressure. Daily eat 1 – 2 bananas that help to keep you healthy and can control high blood pressure. The high potassium in the banana helps to control the blood pressure level. This aids to low sodium levels and can have them by adding into your diet. You can also add banana into your daily diet to be healthy. You have to add some other ingredients such as eating spinach, dried apricots, raisins, baked sweet potatoes, oranges, zucchini and currants.
Coconut water good for health
Coconut water is best to keep your body hydrated. It is well recommended that can help to suffer with high blood pressure. You should drink at least 8 – 10 glasses of water a day. Drink coconut water that results well and is tasty. This also helps to processes, nutritional values as well. Coconut water helps to lower and can control the hypertension levels. So, it is better to improve blood pressure level by consuming coconut water. You can also use coconut oil instead of normal oil for cooking recipes. This also helps to keep your body hydrated
Indian gooseberry good for HBP
Indian gooseberry helps in easy digestion and keeps you healthy. Crush 4 – 5 Indian gooseberries and prepare a paste from them. Blend juice from that paste. Take 2 teaspoons of juice and add 1 teaspoon of honey from it. Mix them well and drink it in the morning. This also helps to flush out toxins from the body.
Cut down salt intake
Cut down your salt intake compared with normal blood pressure and a full-fledged hypertension. So, limit the intake of salt to less than 1500 milligram a day. We get most of our sodium from processed foods, so stick with whole foods. Eat foods with nutrition labels and makes them fixed and don’t eat any processed foods with nutrition labels. So, make sure to check with labels while purchasing the product.
Lemon juice keeps blood vessels
Lemon helps in keeping the blood vessels softer by removing rigidity and hence high blood pressure will be reduced.
- Lemon juice is very effective to control high blood pressure. Avoid salt or sugar and add lemon juice to warm water and drink it every morning.
Watermelon seeds enlarges blood capillaries
A compound called cucurbocitrin of watermelon helps in enlarging the blood capillaries which helps in improving kidney function. It reduces blood pressure.
- Take a few seeds of watermelon, grind it along with poppy seeds, Take one spoon of this mixture on an empty stomach and in the evening.
- You can also crush these seeds and boil in water, allow it to steep, strain it. Drink 4 teaspoon of this water throughout the day.
Garlic lowers high blood pressure
Garlic helps in lowering the high blood pressure. It is good both ways, raw and cooked in our food too. Garlic also reduces cholesterol.
- Chew 2 cloves of garlic. Alternatively, you crush the cloves and soak it in milk for a few minutes and drink.
- You can extract juice from garlic, put 6 drops of garlic juice in 4 teaspoons of water and drink it 2 times in a day.
Try celery to control high blood pressure
Celery contains phytochemical3-N-butylphthalide, this helps to control the blood pressure. It relaxes the muscles in and around the arterial walls, which in turn creates more space and makes it easy for the blood flow.
- Eat one stalk of celery with water every day.
Cayenne pepper to smooth the blood flow
Mild hypertension can be treated with cayenne pepper. It helps in smooth flow of blood.
- You must take a little quantity only because it is spice and may give a burning sensation. Add it to your salads or you can use it in your curries too.
Onion juice lowers blood pressure
The anti-oxidant flavonol called quercetin lowers blood pressure.
- Eat one raw onion daily.
- You can extract juice, mix honey and drink it two times in a day for 2 weeks.
Honey best to control BP
Honey can reduce the pressure from the heart and as a result lower the blood pressure.
- Take two teaspoons every day on an empty stomach.
- You can add one teaspoon of honey, ginger juice, with 2 teaspoons of cumin seed powder. Eat it two times every day.
Try fenugreek seeds into your diet
Fenugreek seeds contain potassium and dietary fiber. This works to lower the blood pressure.
- Boil two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds in water.
- Blend it into a fine paste.
- Eat this paste two times in a day, morning and evening. Follow this 2 to 3 months.
Power walks & exercise
- Power walks work really well for hypertensive patients. Exercise helps the heart use oxygen more efficiently, so blood pump gets smoother. Cardio exercises help to lower high blood pressure.
Slow breathing and meditative practices like yoga and tai chi decrease stress hormones. Exercise this in the morning and at night. Inhale deeply, expand your belly. Exhale and relax
Dark chocolate good for heart
- Eating dark chocolate gives elasticity to the blood vessels. Dark chocolate is good for health and helps in improving blood pressure. This improves blood flow and keeps you healthy. Dark chocolate is good for health.
Tea reduces HBP
- Take hibiscus tea. The phytochemicals of hibiscus reduce high blood pressure. Look for a hibiscus tea in the stores or you can just take hibiscus leaves and boil it in water. Strain it, and drink the water.
- One of the complaints of a high blood pressure patient is snoring. It is found in the research that, there is a potential risk of life threatening interruptions in tour breathing when you are asleep. Hence, you need to treat this also. Follow my other article which talks about remedies to reduce snoring.
The remedies are not your only treatment. Follow your doctor’s advice too. These are in addition to the doctor’s medical and dietary advice and always go for regular checkups.