We often crack a joke if someone snores. Snoring is caused because of the of muscle relaxation of the muscles in the mouth, throat and tongue. The tissues of the mouth gets relaxed and block the airway and tend to vibrate as the air rushes. Breathing is interrupted for short periods and causes snoring. It is so painful to sleep beside the one who has snores loudly. It is annoying at times and leads to separate bedrooms. There are cases which lead to divorce because the husband snores badly. Understand the intensity of the issue and get treated. Follow the home remedies for relief.
The common causes of snoring are overweight, sleeping postures, sinus problems, and age.
- Middle age or beyond peoples throat becomes narrower due to decrease in the muscle tone in the throat. Lifestyle changes, bedtime change, becoming older, and throat exercise can prevent snoring.
- Sinus problems with a stuffy nose that make you inhale difficult and can create a vacuum in the throat which is the reason for snoring.
- Overweight is another reason with some fatty tissues that can improve the poor muscle tone. Exercise, yoga, and walking help to stop snoring.
- A men air passage is narrower when compared to women that are more likely to snore. A cleft palate, enlarged adenoids are the physical attributes to snoring and are often hereditary. Throat exercises help to prevent snoring.
- Sleeping posture is also one of the reasons for causing snoring. Sleeping flat on your back that can flesh your throat and block the airway. So, change your sleeping position will stop snoring.
Natural home remedies for Snoring
Peppermint stop snoring
This has anti-inflammatory property that helps to reduce swelling of the membranes. The lining of the throat and nostrils can promote easy and smooth breathing. Thus, the peppermint home remedies can work well for temporary snoring. This is due to an allergy or a cold or dry air. Take one or two drops of peppermint oil in a glass of water. Mix them well and gargle it before going to bed. But, make sure not to swallow this solution. Repeat it daily for better and desired results. The dry air and congestion causes snoring and you can add a few drops of peppermint oil to a humidifier for about 30 minutes. Use this before going to bed and turn it on. Run the humidifier overnight that helps to open up your airways so that you don’t snore. Now, you can also rub a little peppermint oil into the lower portions of each side of your nose just before going to bed.
Best ways to snooze without snoring with Honey
Honey is best to treat snoring. Honey is rich in anti-inflammatory properties. This helps to reduce swelling around the throat area that can obstruct airways. Honey helps the lubricates through the throat, which prevents the snoring vibrations from occurring. Take one tablespoon of honey in a glass of warm water and drink them well before bedtime. Repeat it daily. Alternatively, you can use honey to sweeten herbal tea that make you like to drink after your dinner.
Nasal spray saline solution
The nasal spray helps to get sleep apnea that causes behind snoring. The simple reason is that the nasal congestion of sinus problem, allergies or infections like cold. This causes swelling in the inner lining of your nose. The swelling in turn changes to a soft palate vibrate that creates the sound of snoring. The saline spray reduces the inflammation inside the nose and stops snoring. Saline nasal spray due to its preservatives that make your nose more congested. This makes a saline water at home. The ¼ teaspoon of salt has anti-drying agents. Add ½ cup of water into it. Empty nasal spray bottle or bottle with dropper. Add salt to water and stir them well to make the salt dissolve completely in the water. Now store this saline water in a spray bottle. At bedtime every day for 2 – 3 drops of this homemade saline water into each of your two nostrils. Use the saline water within 5 days to throw away the left over saline water that has 5 days and make a fresh one.
Overweight causes snoring
One of the few problems is overweight, which causes snoring
- Stay healthy, take proper diet and follow a healthy lifestyle. Try and include simple exercises or just do brisk walks every day for 30 minutes.
Stop snoring with eucalyptus oil
Dry air and congestion are disrupting your breath, then make use of eucalyptus oil.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil into the vaporizer or humidifier.
- Use it 30 minutes before the bed time.
Exercise tongue and throat
With the age, we tend to snore too, because the strength of the tissues in the mouth lost with the time. Try a few exercises to relax the tissues.
- Project the lower jaw over the upper jaw with your teeth showing, count 10. Repeat this for 10 times in a day.
- Tongue work out by saying “The lips, the teeth, the tip of the tongue”
- Put our tongue straight as far as it can extend. Move it left and right, make sure it touches the ends of your lips. May be, you can do it in front of the mirror initially.
Sleeping position can reduce snoring
- Lying on your back usually puts your tongue and soft palate falls on the back of the throat which vibrates the sound during sleep. Prefer to sleep sideways. A body pillow may help you if you are used to sleep on your back. It will help to sleep sideways. Working extra hours with insufficient sleep also cause snoring. Hence have some work life balance, follow a good routine to avoid such issues.
Pillows prevent snoring
- Change your pillow covers frequently. Keep your room dust free, of course, in this polluted land, it is not easy to be dust free. However, you may try to dust your bedroom quite often compared to the other rooms of the house.
Keep yourself hydrated
- Take lots of water and fluids. Dryness in the mouth makes it stickier when you are dehydrated, which can in turn create snoring.
Anti-snoring pills stop snoring
Anti snoring pills are made with natural enzymes that can target nasal congestion and can work to reduce it. This intern may reduce your snoring. The treatment may vary depending upon your feelings.
- Herbal pills are available in the market that can reduce snoring. These are made up of enzymes and object the nasal congestion.
Clarified butter and Brahmi oil
- Put 2 drops of warm Brahmi oil or clarified butter in your nostrils in the morning and before bedtime.
Cardamom powder helps to treat snoring
Cardamom powder can reduce snoring problems. It is good for health and is used to treat cold or any throat problems.
- Make cardamom powder, add it to a tumbler of warm water. Drink this every day.
Inhale steam treatment
Inhaling the steam is the best way to clear the nasal obstruction. You may use eucalyptus oil, peppermint.
- Add eucalyptus oil to boiling water and inhale the steam. Do it daily before sleeping for the best results.
Turmeric best natural home remedy
Turmeric is an anti-septic and also has anti-inflammatory agent which can reduce snoring.
- Add 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- Drink this combination before half an hour to your bedtime. You can drink this every day.
Garlic enhances the air passage
Garlic helps in anti-inflammation and enhance the airway in the nasal passage.
- Chew 2 garlic cloves and drink water, do this before you sleep.Add garlic to most of your foods.
Olive oil treats respiratory issues
Olive oil has anti-inflammatory agent and can treat most respiratory issues, reduces the swelling and clears the airway.
- Drink 2 teaspoons of this oil before bedtime.
- You can also add honey to it and consume.
Use the power of breathing
Expiratory Positive Airway Pressure (EPAP) is the best process of snoring that causes air rush across relaxed muscles in the nose and throat. It helps to obstruct air flow with some noise. EPAP targets and can cause of snoring. This can give a positive pressure within the sleeper’s throat. EPAP keeps the airway open and can be free from obstruction with the user’s own breathing. Naturally stop snoring with non-invasive nasal strip that uses the power of your own breathing through EPAP technology.
Lose weight to stop snoring
Weight loss helps to reduce snoring and is especially when snoring is not an issue to gain weight. So, it is better to avoid excess fat on the body that is especially around the neck undue pressure on the airway and can cause it to partially collapse. This partial airway can restrict the results and the chances of snoring. Weight loss helps to reduce snoring.
These are a few remedies you may try. All are safe and do not have any side effects. Avoid alcohol, smoking and do not indulge in hogging the food. Have a routine for yourself, remember you are the one who decides your routine. Work for the stipulated time, don’t stretch for long hours and cut short your sleep. Avoid late night sleep. Use nasal strips that you can buy in the medical stores.