Scabies is caused by Sarcoptes Scabiei which is a mite (bug). It is seen in children and young adults. Scabies is contagious when there is a direct contact. Usually, this mite spreads scabies around the waist, between fingers, buttocks, under the breasts, soles, knees, around the genital area, elbow and armpits. This can survive on the human skin for at least a month. When affected, you tend to have itching, swelling, acute pain, rash and redness. As mentioned, it can spread through a contact, or sharing of personal things. There are medicines to treat, however, first comes is the home remedies. Let us see some home remedies before we visit the doctor. It can be well treated at home itself.
Home remedies for scabies
Aloe vera gel works fast for scabies
Aloe vera gel is rich in antimicrobial properties. This has as a natural medicinal properties to heal the process of scabies, insect bites and other skin conditions. Apply a fresh aloe vera gel on the affected skin. Leave it for 30 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Repeat the process 2 – 3 times daily for a few weeks. This helps to get rid of scabies. Alternatively, grind a handful of Calendula petals along with a pinch of turmeric powder. Add two tablespoons of aloe vera gel and mix them well. Apply this on the affected skin and let it dry. Repeat the process daily for a few weeks for complete results.
Borax and hydrogen peroxide to treat scabies
Borax and hydrogen peroxide is best to form a highly effective treatment for scabies. Borax is a good and natural insecticide and fungicide. Hydrogen peroxide is known as anti-bacterial agent, thus kill the scabies parasite and can reduce the chances of secondary infection in the inflamed area. Fill a bathtub with lukewarm water by mixing two cups of borax and a cup of hydrogen peroxide. Soak yourself in bath for at least 15 minutes. You can take this bath at least once a day for better results.
Onion for scabies treatment
Onion is rich in staple and can reduce scabies infection. This is because of a couple for better results. Onion contain quercetin, which is analgesic and also relieve the symptoms of an itch. Onions are extremely rich in organosulfur compounds that will directly attack and eliminate the scabies parasite. These are natural home remedies to treat scabies. Take a piece of onion and chop it into a few pieces. Put them in a bowl. Sprinkle some salt on it and cover the bowl. Apply the resulting juice with a cotton ball on the affected area. Another way, take an onion and put it in the mixer to turn it on for a few seconds. Take the resulting paste in muslin cloth and squeeze all the juice out. Apply it on the inflamed area. Alternatively, take 8 onions and boil them in a quart of water. Let the water cool down to room temperature and apply it on the infected area.
Neem treatment for scabies
Neem oil is a usually used as a pesticide because of its anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. It is widely used to treat scabies. The smell of the neem prevents in addition of the bacteria spread by the mite. It helps in killing the bacteria and thus removing the infection.
- Apply neem oil to affected area and massage. Make sure, neem oil is absorbed. Take a bath after sometime.
- You can prepare anti-septic cream too. Take equal quantities of the neem oil and turmeric powder. Apply this cream on the skin where you have the rash. You may use this for 3 times in a day.
Cayenne pepper to get rid of scabies
Cayenne pepper burns and kills the mites.
- Mix a cup of cayenne pepper in hot water. You need to soak in this water till it gets cold. Rinse with the cool water. You may take this bath every day.
Turmeric for holistic treatment
It has an excellent anti-septic and anti-inflammatory agents that relieve most of the skin problems. Turmeric relieves the symptoms of scabies.
- Add lemon juice to a tablespoon of turmeric powder and add water to make a fine paste. Apply it to the affected area. Let it dry for an hour and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Mix turmeric powder in neem powder. Mix it with water to prepare a fine paste. Put this paste on the affected areas. Take bath a after it dries completely.
Lavender oil on how to get rid of scabies
Lavender oil contains anti-depressant and gives a soothing effect to the nerves. It also helps in regenerating the skin cells. It has anti-fungal property which is used to treat skin infections.
- Add about 6 drops of lavender oil in the warm water. Soak yourself in this water for about 20 minutes and wash with rash gently. You can take a bath with lavender oil every day, which gives relief to the itching and burning sensation.
Tea tree oil home treatment of scabies
The tea tree oil has anti-septic and anti-fungal properties and is a very good remedy to cure scabies. This helps in killing the mite that causes the scabies. Tea Tree oil must be avoided by nursing mothers and pregnant women.
- Combine one spoon of tea tree oil and olive oil. Use a cotton swab to apply this mixture of oil. You can repeat this 3 times in a day.
- You can also add about 2 ounces of tea tree oil in warm water and take a bath for twice in a day.
It is essential to keep your house clean. This mite may affect everyone in the house if you are not taking certain measures. Make sure, the floor is mopped every day with a disinfectant. Spread tea tree oil on the bedspreads. Put the bed sheets and towels for washing daily until you don’t see a new bump or redness on your skin. Use disposable gloves while changing the bedspreads. Clean the bathrooms with good bleach. Wash your clothes every day, even though you did not wear it for long. Store the clothes in a bag, of those cannot be washed. Add vinegar to the loads of cloth bags. If there is an option, appoint someone else to cook for the family. Oil your hair. Keep your skin moisturized. Petroleum jelly and cocoa butter is the best to keep your skin moisturized for a longer time. Past the 6 weeks, reassess yourself, if you do have itches and bumps. In case, if you do have, then the treatments have not worked as it is time to see a doctor.