Henna is an outstanding herb that can be utilized to condition and color your hair. All women and young girls love to have silky hair. Henna has great properties and is very beneficial for hair. If used daily can make wonders to your hair. Henna is the beauty secret for long, dark, and healthy hair. Use henna for hair growth.
Henna is a transparent dye that coats the hair shaft, binding with the keratin. It conditions the hair, giving it shine and body, in addition to a rich red color. Because it is a transparent dye, it will not change the color of your hair, only coat it with color. If you are dyeing your hair to cover the gray hairs will come out a bright, almost pink orange.
Applying henna on the hair is a treatment, which provides two in one benefit. It helps to condition your hair naturally and at the same time adds beautiful color to your hair.
Henna which is popularly known as mehndi in the South Asian countries has been used in hair care since ages. It is a leaf that is dried and grounded into powder form to be used for hair health.
Henna hair pack
- Take a pure quality herbal henna
- Required amount of water
- Half lemon juice or 3 tablespoons of curd
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 2 tablespoon tea powder
- 1 cup beetroot juice
- Mix herbal powder
Herbal powder can be prepared by using 1 tablespoon of Manjistha powder + 1 tablespoon of Bhringraj+3 tablespoon of Amla powder+1 tablespoon of shikakai powder. Soak the above ingredients overnight.
Firstly, select a good brand of herbal henna. Make sure that the henna should be olive green in color and smell nice. Take vessel put water and tea leaves. Ensure you keep the vessel on low flame. Once the water starts boiling, switch off the gas, and keep this mixture aside to cool down. Strain the water and discard the tea leaves and let it come to room temperature. Take an iron vessel than adds tea water to it. Henna will depend upon the length of your hair.
Add henna and mix it with your finger tips or spoon. Keep mixing until there are no lumps. Now add the instant coffee powder. Mix herbal powder and as per given in the ingredients above. Mix everything with a spoon.
Keep this mixture soaked overnight or you can use in 6 hours. Henna needs to get soaked properly, then only will give good color to your hair. It’s better if you use iron vessel because it help in oxidizing and give deep, rich color and tint to your hair.
Add egg white to that mixture and mix it well, it is optional. Now add either curd/lime juice to the mixture to enhance the color. Lime helps in giving highlights to grey hair. It is better to use curd instead of lime juice because it may grey your hair.
Apply oil to your hair for about 1 hour before applying henna. You can cover your head with a hot damp cloth after you apply henna to enrich henna color. Also apply a little oil to your forehead and skin areas near your scalp. This will help your skin not to get dried up once henna is dried on your head.
Leave this henna pack for about 2-3 hours. First rinse your hair properly and try to remove the henna with plain water. Now you can use a mild shampoo and wash your hair gently. Then use a conditioner for colored hair. Pat dried towel on your head and rub it gently else your hair might break.
Tips on henna
- Henna can make your hair brittle and dry so keep oiling your hair. You can also apply oil before application of henna.
- Its better you don’t use any soap or shampoo after applying henna. You can rinse your hair with plain water and use a good conditioner to remove tangles if any.
- It also protects the hair from sun damage and damage from styling with hot irons and blow dryers.
- You can straight away apply the henna pack to your hair. Also note henna color will darken on your hair the next day post application.
Benefits of henna
Henna helps to repair the roots of the hair by nourishing them with some natural properties which are close to proteins… It adds shine and lustrous to the hair. Henna is also used as a temporary dye for colouring grey hair and in helping the common hair problems of itching and dandruff in the scalp. It has cooling and conditioning effect on the scalp that helps to get rid of dryness of the hair.
Cooling effect: If you apply regularly henna to your hair your head will stay cool. It’s great to apply during summers and has got great antiseptic properties.
Helps in hair growth: Henna has natural properties which will promote new hair growth and make your hair strong, healthy, wealthy, and complete.
Hair problems and dandruff: Henna helps in control of dandruff, irritation of scalp and itching to head. Once you use it daily, you will realize henna benefits on your hair
Grey hair: Regular application of henna will completely cover your grey hair and will curb graying to a larger extent.
Ways to prepare henna hair pack
- Henna and freshly brewed black tea along with lemon juice is a good conditioner and is also used to give colour to the hair. This pack is prepared by soaking henna overnight in water or in freshly brewed black tea. Drops of lemon juice and some essential oil can be added to this mixture before applying the paste on the hair and scalp. Leave it for an hour before washing it off with lukewarm water.
- Henna and mustard oil can be used to reduce hair fall and increase hair growth. Boil leaves of henna in mustard oil and leave it to cool. Strain the leaves and use the oil to massage the head. Lemon juice and curd can also be added to the oil before massaging.
- Henna and fenugreek seeds used as a mask can cure several hair problems like itching, dandruff and dryness. This mask can be prepared by soaking fenugreek seeds overnight. Grind them in the morning and mix with henna powder and mustard oil. Apply this paste on the head and leave it to dry for about half an hour. Then wash the hair using a mild shampoo.
[ Hindi version ]