Migraine is the most painful headache. The migraine headache is a one side pain of the head and can spread to the whole head or vice versa, so as pain can move from the whole head to one side. Migraine attacks to the people who are thirties and forties. Life is at most demanding, when you’re busy with work, kids, aging, finances and parents. Migraine is the most commonly seen and is high in women when compared to men due to stress. A migraine headache may be due to family history.
What does the migraine trigger?
Migraine attack occurs because of your brain is predisposed to them is another type of migraine. Migraine is treated by following a healthy lifestyle and identifying migraine triggers. You should try to reduce migraine attacks by simply identifying the triggers and stay away from them. The migraine brain is hypersensitive to triggers as and when it encounters them.
- Migraine is due to bright lights, loud noises, flickering lights, change in temperature, strong smells, smoky rooms and some odors of perfumes.
- Triggers like tiredness, jet lag and exercise.
- Smoking exposure
- Dehydration and alcohol
- Some hormonal triggers like menstrual cycle fluctuations, menopause and birth control pills.
- Migraine is due to allergies and allergic reactions.
- Some emotional stress, anxiety, excitement, tension and depression.
- Change in sleeping patterns or some irregular sleep
- Low blood sugar or may be skipping meals
- Usage of contraceptive pills, hormone replacement therapy and sleeping tablets.
- Headache due to tension
Symptoms of migraine
One should check and identify the symptoms of migraine headache to treat them quickly. Taking care of necessary precautions helps in reducing migraine headache attacks. You can notice it with a mild headache to severe migraine headache. But, all the migraines are not same, there may be some specific and typical symptoms to identify migraine.
- Migraine is a severe pain on one side of the head and can spread to whole head or vice versa.
- Migraine may be due to food cravings
- The pain can be severed due to pulsing and throbbing
- Depression causes migraine
- Fatigue and low energy levels
- Migraine due to physical activity
- Hyperactivity and neck stiffness symptom
- Inability to perform regular activities due to pain
- Frequent yawning is one among the symptoms of migraine
- You may feel sick, irritability and physically sick.
- Migraine is due to increased sensitivity to light and sound. The symptom can be treated by lying quietly in a dark room.
- Some other symptoms like sweating, temperature changes, tummy ache and diarrhea.
Causes of migraine
The causes of migraine include some contributing factors that can trigger the condition. This includes changes in brain chemicals, such as a decrease in serotonin levels. The factors that include migraine are as followed.
- Migraine is due to bright colored lights
- Extremes in weather or may be due to severe heat
- Due to changes in barometric pressure
- Estrogen fluctuations at the time of menstruation, hormonal changes, menopause or pregnancy
- Caffeinated drinks like drink alcohol
- Foods like to age cheese, salty or processed foods
- Consuming foods that have additives like aspartame or monosodium glutamate.
- Eat foods that have additive tyramine, like soy products, fava beans, smoked fish, Chianti wine, aged cheeses and hard sausages.
- Due to loud sounds and excess stress
- Lack of sleep and physical activity
- Skipping meals and change in meal timings
- Medications like oral contraceptives and unusual smells.
Risk factors with migraines
Migraine headaches have certain risk factors that headaches occurred due to themselves from the medication. This another symptoms of migraine. Some of the migraine headaches stay for long lasting that can occur anywhere from 3 – 15 days or even for a month. This is because of headache affects that is from your ability and think clearly. This is difficulty to do at work. Take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs that are high in doses or for a long period of time that can lead to stomach pain or bleeding ulcers. Some people may over use the medication for more than 10 – 30 days or maybe longer than three months, which is not good for health. The migraine prescribed medicine may increase the risks of serotonin syndrome. This prescribed medicine can boost the amount of serotonin in the brain that helps in reducing migraines. This medication includes acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen sodium to prescription medications. Migraine leads some of the various life threatening symptoms like hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, agitation, diarrhea and a rapid heart rate.
How migraines are diagnosed?
Migraine pain can be diagnosed by listening to the patient’s symptoms with a physical examination. Thus, there are several causes of migraine pain, there may be some other causes that occurs and are a potential cause which can be treated based on the patient’s symptoms. Migraine headache can be identified by performing imaging scans such as CT or MRI scan. This is caused by some other causes that includes tumors or strokes. Thus, migraine is difficult to diagnose and doesn’t have specific tests to confirm the diagnosis.
- Internal skull bleeding
- Too much or too little cerebro-spinal fluid
- Nasal sinus blockage
- Inflammation membranes of the brain
- Postictal headache
- Dilated blood vessel in the brain
- Blood clot within the membrane which can cover the brain
How to prevent migraine?
Migraine can be treated with medications. There are some other natural home remedies for migraine. Lifestyle change is an important factor that helps to reduce migraine.
- One should get enough sleep
- Sit quite or lying down in a dark room
- Quit overthinking and reduce stress
- Gently massage your scalp or temples
- Drink plenty of water to reduce headache
- By placing a cold cloth over your forehead or behind your neck
- Avoid foods that causes migraine
- Regular physical exercises
You should be careful, if you are suffering with migraines more frequent. Doctor may prescribe medications to lessen the frequency or migraine attacks that helps to prevent the headaches. Medicines such as Timolol, divalproex sodium, propranolol and topiramate, but there are certain drugs that are designed to reduce hypertension and can prevent seizures.
Biofeedback is another alternative method to reduce migraine. Biofeedback techniques help in reducing migraine attacks such as stress and symptoms like muscle tension.
Acupuncture treatment is not a definitive treatment for migraine pain. Some of the patients may respond well as it is a Chinese method. Acupuncture is inserting needles into specific body locations. This can reduce or stop migraine pain.