Pizza is a round oven baked flat bread topped with tomatoes, cheese and several other different kinds of toppings. It is the most popular Italian dish around the world today. Pizza is cooked in various types of ovens with a variety of ingredients and toppings. Toppings of different types depend on the region, culture, religion and personal taste of the person. The basic steps in making a pizza include making the dough, preparing the pizza sauce and finally adding cheese and other toppings before baking the pizza in the oven.
Making Pizza Dough
Everyone can make dough, but to make a perfect pizza dough can become difficult at times. Pizza dough is normally prepared by hands.
- 1 – 1/4 Oz – Active dry yeast,
- 1 -1/2 Cups – Warm water
- 4 Cups – Bread flour
- 1- 1/2 Tsp. – Salt
- 2 Tbsp. – Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. – Sugar
- Extra flour
- Extra olive oil
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in a large bowl and leave it for 10 minutes for the yeast to become active.
- Next add olive oil and brisk it till the mixture becomes foamy and cloudy.
- Add flour and mix well to make a smooth mass.
- Knead the dough several times by folding the mixture again and again for at least 15 minutes.
- The dough becomes a smooth, silky ball which needs to be coated with a thin layer of olive oil and keep it in an olive oil layered bowl. Now roll the dough to a round by pressing it with the hands and rolling it with a rolling pin.
Making Pizza Sauce
Normally tomato sauce that is lightly herbed with oregano and basil is used on pizzas. Tomato sauce can be easily prepared at home.
- 3 Tbsp. – Butter
- 16 Oz- tomato puree
- 3 Tbsp. – Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp. – Salt
- 3 Cloves – Garlic
- 1/4 Tsp. – Black Pepper
- 3 Large minced onions,
- 1 Tsp. – Whole basil
- Sauté the onions and garlic in butter and olive oil. Add tomato puree, basil, salt, pepper and oregano and boil it for about an hour.
- Stir occasionally and mash the mixture till the sauce has the consistency of a soup.
- Cool and apply liberally over the pizza base.
Spread the sauce evenly over the surface of the dough sheet. Spoon the sauce out to the edge of the dough sheet. Leave a small margin on the outer-side of the dough sheet, to allow the crust to rise and crisp more nowshred a layer of the shredded cheese over the sauce. Arrange any toppings as chosen over this layer of cheese.
Bake the pizza at 450 degree F for 15 minutes in a preheated oven.
The pizza is ready when
- The cheese has melted on top and is beginning to look brown.
- The crust edge has browned, to golden brown.
- The bottom should also be evenly brown.
How to make Pizza on Tawa
Pizza is often made inan oven but if needed it can be also made in a microwaveor on a tawa. Pizza prepared on tawa is as delicious as prepared in oven.
For making dough
- Maida -2 cup
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Instant yeast – 1 tsp
For pizza topping
- Capsicum – 1
- Baby corn – 3
- Pizza sauce – ½ cup
- Mozzarella cheese – ½ cup
- Italian mix herbs – ½ tsp
- Strain Maida in any utensil and add dry instant yeast, olive oil, salt and sugar.
- Mix all ingredients well and knead the flourwithlukewarm water until it becomes absolutely soft… Grease a bowl and place dough to ferment for 2hours.
- Cut capsicum and make thin slices. Cut baby corn in small round pieces and cook for 2 minutes.
- Roll a round chapatti with the pizza dough that is ½ inch thick and 10-12 inch in diameter.
- Grease the preheated tawa with oil and place the pizza over it. Cook it till the lower side becomes brown
- Flip the pizza upside down and reduce the flame to minimum. Spread a layer of pizza sauce. Place capsicums and corn on the pizza and sprinkle grated cheese over it.
- Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes on medium flame until the cheese gets melted and the lower side gets little brown.