Prom is more than just a magical night of dancing and fun, it’s a once-a-year opportunity to wow your classmates with your sense of style. After you have chosen the perfect dress and stylish accessories, polish your look with some knock-out eye makeup. From glittery and shimmery eye shadows, to bold and sleek liners, and multicolored mascaras, your eyes can be the perfect complement to your magical evening.
The weeks before prom can be crazy. There’s nothing better than planning your dress, shoes, prom makeup and hair as you cannot afford to miss being the most stunning Miss Perfect of the special night.
You spend hours and hours on your big prom look, trying to be perfect for picture time. Then, after you break a quick sweat during the first song of the evening, it’s…ruined! Smudged liner, clumping mascara, lipstick on the teeth, etc. What’s a girl to do? So here are some do’s and don’ts to get that perfect look.
Quick tips to get that perfect look
Start Fresh: Your face is like a canvas to create a work of art, so it is important to start off with a ‘clear slate’. Clean your face thoroughly before applying your make up. A face wash is a good way to start with. Pat your skin dry. There is no need to scrub your face.
Apply a Layer of Foundation: Your base make up will start with the application of foundation makeup and it is one of the most important aspects of any type of makeup. Applying your base makeup has a lot to do with how you will be looking on the big day. Do not skip on buying a good foundation. Make sure to shop around and find the best things to suit your skin tone. Also, make sure that you are comfortable with the foundation that you are wearing.
Eye Make Up: Your eye makeup can indeed set you apart from others and help you create a customized look. Decide on the appearance that you want to don dark, mysterious, smoky or light, lively or flirty. Never hesitate to use different shades to create a look according to your preference- simple or drastic. It might take a little time to find the right look, so make sure that you decide on it before hand. Complete your make up by tending to your eyelashes. Make them appear longer by using mascara or eyelash curlers. Make sure that the makeup is blended well and does not make the look ‘overwhelming’.
On Creating Smoky Eyes: Perhaps, the greatest thing about smoky eyes is that, this look suits any eye color. So whether you have blue, black or green eyes, you can go safe with this eye makeup. All you will need to do is to choose the right shade of eye shadow. Smoky eyes are one of the most popular eye makeup trends nowadays. Here’s how you can do it:
- You can create the look by using black eyeliners, mascara and eye shadows. However, this does not necessarily mean that everything has to be black.
- You can consider using shades of blue and/or gray to create and intense, dramatic look.
- Keep the black around your eyes, shadowing up from that place.
- When using blue/ gray eye shadow, blend the lighter shades, making sure that the eyeliner remains concentrated around the lash line of your top, as well as bottom lashes.
On Choosing Lip Colors: No girl can have enough lipsticks. In fact, lip make up is as important as your eye makeup. Choose your lip color according to your looks and create a drama. However, it is equally important that your lip color co-ordinates with your overall look.
- If you are emphasizing more on eye makeup, then try not to ‘overdo’ your lips. For example, an electrifying blue eye shadow, when paired with a bright devilish red lipstick, then you will look ‘different’ for sure, but not in the manner you want.
- Keep a balanced approach so that you do not end up looking like a paint box.
- Usually, red lip colors go well with smoky eyes. Use pinkish, light shades if you have gone for heavier eye makeup.
Pick your eyes or your mouth
The biggest mistake people make when putting on makeup is that they highlight both the eye and the mouth. You need to pick one or the other and downplay what you rejected.
How to pick? Simple. What do people compliment you on? If you choose to focus on your lips, you’ll want to go bright. Red is hot for prom, as are dark pinks. Just stay away from brown (leave it for your grandmother) and make sure you keep your eye makeup soft and simple.
If you want to play up your eyes, go all out with liner, shadow, mascara and even false eyelashes. Just make sure you stick with light lips capped with a light gloss.
Three things to remember when taking pictures
You’ll have those prom pictures for years, so don’t forget these three things:
- Apply liner and lipstick with a mirror before you pose.
- Powder your oily areas (forehead, chin and nose) immediately before the picture. Or better yet, keep blotting papers in your purse.
What to bring in your purse?
Every purse needs blotting papers (better than applying powder all night, which can leave you looking like a mime), lipstick or gloss, powder (just in case), breath mints and a small bottle of hairspray.
One last thing: Remember, a happy, fun attitude is your biggest beauty weapon. Who doesn’t look beautiful when they’re happy and smiling?