An itch inside and around your eye is a sore eye. Most of us get affected because of the pollution, allergies, and exposure to sun, eye fatigue or poor usage of contact lens. You may experience itchy eyes, pain, burning sensation, running nose, difficulty opening your eyes when you wake up, watery discharge, stuck eyelids, sore throat too. If you constantly rub your eyes, this will become a recurring issue. If you feel this issue is getting serious and you are not getting any relief after following the remedies, then it would be better to consult a doctor.
Symptoms of sore eyes
Sore eye causes the inflammation of the eyes. Chronic conjunctivitis is caused due to microbial infestation. The common symptoms that are detected for redness of the eyes are as follows.
- Constant itching or burning and pink color for some time
- Bacterial and viral conjunctivitis
- Eye roughness in the eyes
- Pain and swelling
- Continues is tearing
- Severe in case with cream colored discharge
- Difficulty in blinking
Symptoms of sore eyes
- Eye redness, burning, and discomfort
- Eye pain and difficult to open
- Eyelids are stuck together
- Water discharge and soreness
- Runny nose and lymph glands
- Excessive rubbing of eyes
Home remedies for sore eyes
Cucumber for eyes
One of the first things that come to our minds is cucumber. I am sure most of you must have come across this tip.
- Slice the cucumber and place on your eyes for about a half hour and relax. You may listen to soft music.
- You can also extract pulp and apply to the dark circles.
- Dab cotton swab in milk and compress your eyes for a few minutes.
- Soak cotton on milk and put it on the eyes.
- You can do this every day.
Rosewater to give a cooling effect
Rosewater gives cooling effect to the eyes.
- You can rinse your eyes with the rose water.
- You can also use it as drops. Put 3 drops in the swollen eye.
Cold compress for itchy eyes
Applying the cold compress gives a soothing effect to the itchy eye.
- Soak soft cloth in ice cold water and place it over your eyes. Repeat it as many times as you can.
- Chamomile tea bags work well for the sore eyes. Refrigerate the tea bags and place the chilled tea bag on the affected eye for 10 minutes.
Aloe vera gel to moisturize
Aloe vera gives soothing effect and acts as a moisturizing agent.
- Extract aloe vera juice and wash your eyes.
Raw potatoes for dark circles
It is available in our home any time. It has bleaching agent which lightens the dark circles.
- Make a thick slice of a potato, refrigerate it. Later, place it on your eyes for 20 minutes.
- Do this every day before going to sleep.
Fenugreek seeds for eyes
- Soak fenugreek seeds, make a fine paste and apply it over the eyes. Leave it for 20 minutes and wash.
Castor oil gives soothing effect
Castor oil has a soothing effect for sore eyes.
- Apply 2 drops of castor oil over the eyes. This can be repeated frequently in a day.
Onion juice for eyes
- Onions are an age old remedy. It is difficult to put onion juice in the eyes, but it helps. Alternatively, you can just try cutting onions
Coriander eye drops
- Extract juice from the fresh coriander leaves. Using an eye dropper, take the liquid and drop it in your eyes.
Gooseberry juice for eye infections
Gooseberry juice is good for eye infections.
- Extract juice from gooseberry, add a little honey and consume it.
ACV to fight bacterial infections
Apple Cider Vinegar with water gives an instant relief. It contains Maleic acid, which fights bacterial infections that affect the eyes.
- Add water to ACV, dab cotton and apply it to the eyes.
- You can also place dabbed cotton in this mixture for a few minutes.
Golden seal compression
It is an herb which reduces eye infection.
- Boil 2 teaspoons of Goldenseal with water. Apply it to the eyes when it becomes warm.
Drink more water
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Eyes are also supposed to be kept hydrated. Dryness is not good for eyes. Also, wash your eyes with cold water whenever there is an irritation.
Splash your eyes with some cold water
Frequently following this remedy cures sore eyes. Take some water and splash the eyes with cold water. This helps to keep your eyes relaxed and makes you to keep them fresh. Take some ice cubes and wrap them in a clean cotton towel. Slowly place them on your eyes to give cold effect.
Amla for sore eyes
Amla is used to for beauty and health care. You can simply drink Indian gooseberry amla juice. If you want, you can add a teaspoon of honey into it. Drink this twice a day on a daily basis. Indian gooseberry effectively used to fight the infection. This helps to boost immunity naturally. Instead of Indian gooseberry juice, you can prepare some vegetable juice such as carrot, parsley, and spinach. Drink these gooseberry or any vegetable juices twice a day for quick relief.
A chamomile flower helps to reduce sore eyes. Take 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile flowers and add them into a cup of boiled water. Let them steep for 5 minutes and strain the solution. Let it cool down and use this as eyewash. It helps and acts as a cold compress.
Alternatively, add 12 drops of tincture of chamomile and add them to a cup of boiled water. Let it cool down and use this solution as eyewash.
Crying helps to get rid of sore eyes
Crying is the best way to treat sore eyes. Crying helps to lubricate the eyes and wash out the impurities from the eyes. You can add some table salt to a liter of distilled water in order to create your own homemade saline solution. If you want, you can use a dropper to put this solution into your eyes. This is the best way to treat sore eyes naturally at home.
Use chilled spoons for sore eyes
You can use chilled spoons that make your eyes to reduce pain and irritation. Take at least four metal spoons and refrigerate them or else place them in a glass of cold water individually. Place the chilled spoons over your eyes. Leave them until the spoons start to lose its coolness and switch them with another chilled spoon.
Apply a tea bag to treat sore eyes naturally at home
Tea is rich in bio-flavonoids, this helps in the fight against various bacteria and infections. Take some black or green tea bags and places them on your eyes for several minutes, this helps to decrease inflammation. Instead of that, place the used tea bags in refrigerator and leave them until they become chilled. Take out chilled tea bags and place them over your eyes to reduce sore eyes. This helps to reduce eye irritation.
Salt and water mixture to treat itchy eyes
Water in combination with salt is the best way that helps to treat painful and itchy eyes. This is best used as an eye rinse with the combination of good and irritated eyes. This home remedy can be used for inflamed eyes. Thus, the mixture helps to wash away the debris collected in the eyes. Add some salt that is being an antibacterial agent and can kill bacteria for better results. Prepare a natural eye wash with a combination of a cup of distilled water with one teaspoon of salt water. Boil the solution until the salt gets dissolved into the water completely. Leave the solution to cool down completely and use this to flush out the eyes. Repeat the process several times a day for about 2 – 3 days.
To prevent such soreness, you need to have at least 8 hours of sleep. Relax in your leisure time instead of getting glued to the computer or the television. Avoid over usage of contact lenses. Make sure, you clean them thoroughly after use. Wash your hands before and after wearing the lens. Follow a healthy diet. Try and include carrot and beet-root juices in your diet, or just eat them in your salads. If you are someone who wears eye-makeup, please ensure that the products are of good quality and check the expiry dates. Cleanse your eyes after you are back to home, never sleep with your eye make-up on. Overall, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. These are the quick tips that can suppress the infection, however, on using the combination of these tips, if there is no relief, visit your doctor for help.