A good and correct facial massage helps you to remain beautiful and youthful with healthy skin. Facial massage helps to slow down your ageing and rejuvenates your skin. Our skin gets damaged and loses elasticity due to various reasons such as UV rays, dehydration, aging etc. Facial massage is a safe exercise for your skin. It works deeply and cleans the rutted dirt, improves blood circulation and relieves stress. Facial massage results in clear, smooth and healthy skin.
Benefits of facial massage
- It helps in removing toxins and keeps your skin cells healthy. The lymph system is part of the body’s natural defense system. So through self massage you can aid your lymph system to deliver nutrients to your cells and flush out cellular waste, bacteria, and toxins.
- It helps to remove puffiness. The lymph system carries excess water away. Through daily massage you can encourage this and reveal a less swollen-looking appearance.
- It promotes an ageless or rather younger appearance by instigating the skin, tissues, and nerves around your face.
- Lymphatic facial massage really helps to drain the fluids that can build up in your sinus area due to cold or allergies.
- A facial massage always comes to your rescue whenever you feel tired, whenever you want to look less puffy, when you want relief from allergies or a cold.
Steps to do a facial massage yourself
Cleanse: Gently massage with a cleanser on your face and neck carefully without dragging your skin and then, depending on the type of cleanser you are using, remove your cleanser by rinsing with water or wiping it off with cotton wipes
Exfoliate: Use circular motions to gently remove the dead skin cells using a mild facial scrub and then rinse.
Steam: Steam your face for at least 20 minutes, so that the pores of your skin open up and benefit the properties of the facial massage.
Apply a facial mask: Apply a facial mask and massage for 10-20 minutes as it will help to tighten the pores of greasy skin or nourish dry skin according to the kind of mask being used.
Tone: Now remove your mask and give your face another splash with water or some toner applied with a cotton pad.
Moisturize: Moisturizers are essential for all skin types and will get back any moisture that your skin has lost and will prevent any further loss.
Facial massage steps
In the above mentioned stepwise procedure of doing a facial massage at home, the most crucial step is the massage done for at least 10-20 minutes. So here is a detailed procedure of a facial massage that you can follow.
- Using alternate hands, sweep from collar bone to jaw bone starting from the left side and ending at the right side. This movement is commonly known as alternative stroking up the neck. Do this 4 to 5 times.
- The next massage stroke is called cupping of the jaw. In this stroke the palm of the left hand should be cupped in a concave shape over the right hand side of the jaw. Now stroke across to the left side till your fingers come up towards the ears. Similarly cup the right hand and take it to the right side.
- After this you need to do a cheek triangle. By using your fingers sweep under the sides of the mouth towards the ears returning down to the center of the chin. Draw fingers firmly up to the cheekbone level close to the nose, stroke with gentle pressure under the cheek bone towards the ears as if you were draining the sinuses from under the nose area towards the ear. Then release pressure and gently glide your fingers towards the center of the chin.
- Using circular movements with the thumb cushion up the nose. Starting from the tip of the nose using the thumb cushion in circular movements (clockwise) start moving towards the forehead finishing at the top of the forehead.
- Now you have to do forehead, stroking with alternate palms. Gently stroke with relaxed hands up the forehead following with the left hand, repeat alternate strokes.
- Move towards your eyes and place three fingers over the eyebrows across the frontal bone. Now drain across towards the temples using pressure. Release the pressure and wait. Using ring fingers under the eyes, circle around to the starting point.
- Repeat the entire strokes one after the other.
- Then place the index fingers above the lips, second finger below the mouth, the ring and the little fingers on the chin and below. Place both your hands to meet at the fingers. Keeping this contact moves slowly apart from the center of the mouth towards the temples without bending your fingers. When the finger tips reach the temple apply pressure for 3 to 4 seconds on it only to repeat the movement.
- Now place both your hands on the center of the chest, just under the neck. Stroke lightly and move hands out towards the armpit. Now move your palms around the deltoid muscles up to the back of the shoulders. Continue to the point at the base of the skull. Wait there for 10 seconds, and then repeat all over again.