Today I want to share my recipe of AlooTikki. I know the name itself is moth watering and believe me its amazing in taste.
Alootikki is a very well known street food all over India. It is also known as AlooBhalla in some parts of U.P.
It is crispy at the same time it is very soft. It has a having spicy taste and at the same time it sweet and sour. Foodies and gourmet really love this dish!
There are so many methods to make this delicious dish. Some people prefer to grill it. While some prefer to fry it.
Its up to you, how you want to prepare this dish. There is no particular condition or weather to enjoy this food. It could be enjoyed anytime and anywhere and it takes very less time to prepare this dish. Alootikki is made up of potatoes, peas, spices and chutnies . It could be served with curd and chutnies as well as Spicy Chick peas (‘kabulichana’).
I like it with Chutney very much. Here is my method of preparing AlooTikki. I hope you will enjoy it.
Estimated Preparation Time: ~45 mins.
- 5-6 MEDIUM SIZE POTATOES
- 1 CUP BREAD CRUMBS
- ½ CUP OF PEAS
- ½ CUP OF FINELY CHOPPED CABBAGE
- 1 ONION CHOPPED
- CORIANDER LEAVES CHOPPED
- SALT AS PER THE TASTE, CHAT MASALA AS PER TASTE
- 1 TEA SPOON RED CHILLI POWDER
- 2 TEA SPOON CORIANDERPOWDER
- 1 TEA SPOON DRY MANGO POWDER
- 1 TEA SPOON GARAM MASALA
- ½ TEA SPOON OF CUMIN SEEDS
How to Make
- Clean the potatoes and pressure cook to boil it. (You can also microwave the potatoes): [Estimated time is 10 to 15 mins][3 Whistles of pressure cook should be enough to boil them].
- Chop the ½ cup of peas in a Chopper. [Estimated time is ~2mins]
- Take 1 Tablespoon of oil in a pan. Heat it and add cumin seeds and chopped Peas. Saute the peas for ~2 mins.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, 1 tea spoon of dry mango powder. Add salt to taste. Mix it well. Sauté it for another 2 to 3 mins. Turn off the burner after this step.
- Now take the boiled potatoes, remove the outer skin of the potatoes(if not done previously). Mash the potatoes thoroughly and please ensure no pieces of potatoes are remaining un-mashed. Un-mashed potatoes will difficult to fry in next steps. Henceforth please take due care in this step.
- Take one cup of bread crumbs, 1-2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1-2 red chilli powder, Salt. Make dough of the above ingredients with mashed potatoes.
- Make 5 to 6 equal size small balls of the dough prepared in the above step. Press the small balls in between your palms so that we get the shape of the AlooTikki.
- Take 1 teaspoon of the sautéedPeas(Prepared in Step. 2) and fill in to the Tikki (prepared in step 7).
- Re-make the balls of the mixture . (using the above ingredients expect to make ~6 alootikki by following steps 7 and 8. )
- Now take Non-Stick pan and heat it for some time. Apply oil on the non-stick pan. Let the oil heat for some time. Make sure that it does not burn.
- Now fry the prepared Tikki one by one. (Estimated time for frying oneTikki is ~6 to 10 mins). You need to fry the Tikki from both sides and if possible you can fry multiple Tikkis in a single round. Ideally Tikki should be having Golden Brown color after frying. Don’t over fry it otherwise it will turn black and you will not like it.
- Now take plate or bowl, place 2-3 tikkies on it. Sprinkle some chat masala on it, spread some curd, green chutney ( dhaniya/pudhinachutni ) and red chutney ( Dates/Imli chutney #yummy# isn’t it ). You can also dress it with Chopped Cabbage, Chopped Onions. Make sure that after dressing also you can spread another around of curd, green chutney or red chutney.
- For the dressing you can also add Sev (BarikSev, Ratlami or BikaneriSev). If you are a real Paneer Buff you can add some Paneer slices or chopped paneer.