Skin is the biggest organ with different colors that is referred as skin tone. They are determined by outer layer’s supply of a pigment called melanin. Melanin serves as your body’s defense against ultraviolet rays, which are commonly referred to as UV rays that causes skin cancer. As UV rays start penetrating your bodies, skin cells called melanocytes that are high gear and start producing melanin. Fair skin indicates you are a descendant of people who lived much farther from the equator. So knowing your skin tone is important.
The skins undertone is the warm, cool, or neutral hue that shows through the surface color of skin. It depends on sun exposure and other skin conditions like rosaceous and acne, the skin’s undertone remains consistent.
There are different types of skin tone that, could you keep in mind while applying makeup or foundation. The surface of the skin tone is the color that you can see on the surface of your skin. It often describes as light, medium, tan, deep etc. The undertones are into three types.
- Cool (pink, red or bluish undertones)
- Warm (yellow or golden undertones)
- Neutral (mix of warm and cool undertones)
How to determine skin tone?
Skin color depends on melanin in your skin and the size and number of blood vessels that lie closest to the skin’s surface.
White paper test to find skin tone
Wash your face with warm water. And then with a facial cleanser. Your skin should be completely clean of makeup and other impurities. Let it dry completely and pat with a towel. Use a moisturizer or toner. Don’t rub your skin hardly with the towel.
- After applying moisturizer. You just wait for about 15 minutes in order to reach its most natural state.
- Then stand in front of a mirror. You should be in full of natural light, as shadows or florescent light can alter the appearance of your skin coloring.
- Check whether your skin tone is warm or cool. Hold a piece of white paper to your face. Make a note of your skin tone in contrast with the white. If it looks yellow or golden, then you have a warm skin color. If it looks pinkish, you have a cool tone.
Gold or silver test to get skin tone
Take turns by holding gold foil, then silver foil. So, that your face is to determine skin tone. It affects the reflection on the look of your skin. Right foil will give you a healthy, glowing appearance. If the gold foil is right for you, then you have a warm skin tone. If the silver foil is right for you, your skin tone is cool.
Vein test to determine skin tone
Just hold your wrists out and facing up under direct sunlight. Then you can notice the blood vessels to be greenish in color, and then you have a warm tone. If they appear a bluish tint, then you have a cool skin tone.
Olive skin tone identification
It tends to look ashen or gray. The combination of the natural yellow undertone everyone has and the greenish hue that is unique to olive skin of any depth.
How to find a neutral skin tone
This is obvious overtones of olive, sallow, or pink. Skin tone tends to have the easiest time finding the foundation, concealer, and powders that are just right for them.
Deep skin tone determination
The people with this deep skin tones are usually have dark brown eyes. The skin looks healthier in bright hued cloths such as royal purple or green. The darker skin tone is easier that can pull off more intense colors on your lips. Thus, the plums, reds and deep burgundies look great with your skin tone. Thus, the veins on your wrist purple tint and you can wear both silver and gold jewelry.
Simple and quick methods to determine your skin tone
- Observe the skin’s natural melanin level is higher if you tan easily and do not burn. This is most likely that has a yellow to olive skin tone that can warm undertone. Thus, this is true for African Americans and is people of Indian descent. This is with a deep ebony skin tone that may actually have a cool undertone, so dark copper shades looks off but can espresso type shades match perfectly.
- The skin has less melanin with those who can burn and either tan minimally. This results in pink, bluish-red or ruddy cooler undertone. Thus, it looks for telltale signs which is a ruddy skin tone and has obvious signs of redness. This tends to flush easily. There are some other neutral skin tones that can fall into this skin tone. You can experiment with cool to neutral tones that looks best on your skin.
- Olive skin tone looks ashen or gray in combination with the natural yellow undertone. This skin tone has greenish hue which is unique to olive skin of any depth or ethnicity. Neutral tones tend to work best with an experiment and warm tones. Cool tones make olive skin look dull and drab.
- The neutral skin tones have no obvious overtones of olive, sallow or pink. This skin tone has an easier time to find the foundation, concealed with a right for them. This is good with neutral skin tones that can find any easily wear to one shade in any given foundation lineup.
- There is a shortcut test to find out skin tone. Thus, the people like to rely on the color of their veins. The veins look on the inside of your wrist. If your veins appear blue/ purple and are used with a cool toned spectrum. If your veins appear to be green that are warm toned with yellow spectrum. Thus, neutral undertones will have difficulty discerning the blue/green.
Some more tips to find out skin tone
- Stand under yellow or white light bulb to determine your skin tone. If your skin tone will look better in the yellow light and appear gray and sickly in the white light. The reverse is for cool skin tone.
- Stand in front of the mirror and put on a silver necklace or a pair of silver earrings. Take them off and replace them with gold ones. Check out which suits you better? If silver suits you better then you have a cool skin tone. It gold suits you better than you a warm skin tone.
- You just pull down your ear forward and look behind in natural light. If you have a yellow hue, then you have a warm skin tone. If you have pinkish tint, you have a cool tone.
- Roll up your sleeves if you are wearing long sleeves. Look at the underside of your wrist. Check your veins look blue-purple or blue-green. If it is blue, purple, then you have a cool skin tone. If it is greenish, then you have a warm skin tone.