Continental cuisine refers to the food and art of cooking in the European countries. Throughout the cuisine from America, Australia, England and New Zeeland come under Continental food. Continental Cuisine can be classified under the name of these countries and each having their distinct feature. Continental dishes contain less chilies and minimum amount of spices. Fresh herbs and dairy products form an important part in the continental recipes. Ham, cold meats, pies, pastries, jam and bread are the most common breakfast items. Baking, grilling, stewing and roasting are the most popular methods of cooking in continental foods.
Three Continental Recipes
French Onion Soup
French onion soup is a classic soup that can be taken all the year round.
- 1 tablespoon Flora Buttery Spread
- 3 onions sliced thinly
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 Continental Salt Reduced Stock Pot Beef
- 4 slices lightly toasted baguette
- 90g , grated cheese
- Melt Flora Buttery Spread in a frying pan and cook onions until golden brown
- Add garlic and thyme, stirring, until onions are well browned and very tender,
- Add hot water and Stock Pot. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Pour soup into bowls and top with a slice of bread topped with cheese that is pre heat the grill for 1 minute.
Garlicky Roast Lamb with Sweet Potato
Garlicky Roast Lamb with Sweet Potato is a favorite delicious winter dish. It is easy to prepare this roast lamb with its beautiful brown sheen and fresh vegetables and is served piping hot.
- 1.5 kg leg of lamb
- 10 cloves garlic
- 10 small sprigs of rosemary
- 6 peeled and halved small potatoes,
- 3 peeled and chopped carrots,
- 600 g peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 1 packet Continental Cook-in-Bag Classic Roast Lamb with Vegetables Recipe Base
- 1½ cups) beef stock
- 2 tablespoons corn flour mixed with equal amount of cold water
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Using a sharp knife and make 10 slits into the lamb, push a clove of garlic and sprig of rosemary in each slit.
- Put the lamb and vegetables into a roasting bag, add Recipe base and close bag using the included tie. Rotate the bag gently to coat evenly.
- Place on a baking tray, pierce top of bag with a skewer to make holes and roast for 1¼ hours or until cooked.
- Remove the lamb and vegetables on a serving plate
- Pour the juices from bag into a saucepan, add stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the corn flour mixture while stirring, until the gravy thickens. Serve with lamb and vegetables.
Peppered Pasta Salad
Peppered Pasta Salad is a cheesy pasta salad with a tangy dressing loved by many people
- 1/2 kg boiled pasta
- 2 sliced onions
- 2 tbsp. green peppercorns
- 250 gm cherry tomatoes cut into halves.
- 100 gm cubed cheese
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 5 tbsp. oil
- 2 tbsp. tomato juice
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- Grated rind of 1 lime
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 3 tbsp. shredded basil
- 1 tbsp. shredded mint leaves
- 2-3 shredded nasturtium leaves
- Salt and pepper
Garnish with Bread croutons and Chopped herbs
- Mix pasta with remaining salad ingredients.
- Whisk together all the items for the dressing.
- Pour over the salad.
- Chill and serve garnished with croutons and herbs
Continental Diet Routine
- Breakfast –. Breakfast is the heaviest meal in the continental cuisine and British breakfast consists of bread, cold meats, cheese, jam, pastries, butter, hot or cold beverage and eggs.
- Lunch – Lunch is usually lighter than the breakfast. Common continental dishes in lunch are mini-sandwiches, turkey rolls, and sautéed veggies. Salads and breads are served as side dishes. The dessert in continental food consists of fresh fruit skewers, creamy pie with fruits.
- Evening snacks –. Cheese rolls, cupcakes, corn toast and cookies with a hot or cold beverage make a good evening snack.
- Dinner or supper – Supper is a kind of light meal taken in continental cuisine which consists of soup, bread, boiled or grilled meat or any kind of light sandwich? Supper is the best substitute for dinner. As dinner is the last and lightest meal of the day taken around 8 pm.